While I tried to remove the external drive in my HP notebook safely, it is showing some message like “Generic volume cannot be stopped right now”. What is the relevance of this message?
Related Windows Problems:
- Trouble in removing bitlocker encryption set up for external USB hard drive using Windows Vista
- Problem while External Hard drive has stopped to work in Windows Vista
- Volume controls stopped responding on Lenovo windows notebook
- External hard drive suddenly stopped showing under My Computer disk drives on my Windows 7
- USB devices suddenly not recognised by Windows 8
- Unable to eject external hard drive from Windows 7 Home Premium
- What has to be done for increasing the Windows drive capacity shrunk while installing Fedora 17 into Windows XP?
- Removing restrictions from Windows 7
- Volume controls stopped responding on windows based Sony laptop
- Windows XP not recognizing Western Digital External Hard Drive
this is because of 2 reasons:
1. either your drive must be infected with virus try using the software " USB DISK SECURITY "
2. you may open the drive window thay you may not noticed. check once.
It means some proccesses which use the external drive are still running. This happens when your system is slow or when you are running many proccesses. when you select safely remove external drive the system closes those programs which use the external drive but when the system is slow closing those programs take much longer time so it says 'generic volume cannot be stopped right now' Defragment your drives so that your notebook will gain some speed.
This problem arises when any file of your external drive is opened in your computer.
In the taskbar you may not see some processes are running-try to stop these from Task manager.
If it doesn't work then you have to install a third party software to stop the process.
Go to www.scanwith.com/download/Unlocker.htm & download the unlocker software free-now install it in your PC.
Now right click on your external drive & click on unlocker icon.
A new window will appear.
At first click on the Unlock All option & try to safety remove your external drive.
If it doesn't work then click on Kill Processes-it'll close all of the program running from your external drive.
Now you can safely remove your USB drive from the computer.
Hope these information will help you a lot.
if any application is opened from your external drive the message comes like that. but if you had closed every opened application and after ejecting if it shows a message like that then it is symbol of virus. please use good antivirus like "symantec endpoint protection" perform a full system scan and after removing all viruses from your laptop then try ejecting your hard drive. your problem will be solved.
This error occurs due to :
* may be some program still running in external drive
* may be media player is synchronizing
* may be optimization is been done
* or may be some installation is going on
check these and then press remove safely
I have Windows XP. Getting "The device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now" is a real head-ache. Here is my solution.
1) Download and install Process Exploerer (its free)
2) Close all programs
3) Open Process Explorer
4) Hold down "Ctrl" key while pressing "F"
5) Type "?:\" , where "?" is the drive letter you are trying to eject
6) Select "Handle ?:" from list
7) "?:" should now be higlighted in the main Process Explorer window at bottom left
8) right click over this and select "close handle"
9) select 'yes" to close handle when warning prompt appears